While riding motorcycles may be enjoyable for many people, it can be a very dangerous method of transportation. Commonly, motorcycle crashes result in serious or fatal injuries. Operating a motorcycle on the roadways requires extreme safety measures, especially in New Jersey.
Some of the most common causes of fatal motorcycle accidents occur as a result of the following:
- Inexperience. It is important for a motorcyclist to have formal training and safety education prior to operating the motorcycle, especially on major highways or in heavy traffic conditions.
- Weather. Factors such as rain, sleet, snow, and ice can lead to serious accidents. Motorcycles have less traction than an automobile and should not be driven in poor weather conditions
- Speed. Speed is a contributing factor in most motorcycle accidents. Traveling at a high rate of speed may cause the operator to lose control of the motorcycle. Given the lack of physical protection, these accidents can be fatal.
- Left Turns or Weaving Between Lanes. Automobile drivers may have a hard time seeing an approaching motorcycle, especially if the operator is speeding. If a driver misjudges a motorcyclist’s distance, he or she may merge or turn into the person. It is important for a motorcyclist to always be aware of his or her surroundings.
- Alcohol or Drugs. Alcohol and drugs should never be used when operating any vehicle, but especially not a motorcycle. Operating a motorcycle under the influence will affect person’s cognitive and physical abilities.
- Road Conditions or Motorcycle Tricks. Unsafe road conditions provide less traction for the motorcycle. Hitting a pothole, sand, or gravel can cause the motorcyclist to fall or drift off course into oncoming traffic. Doing tricks while operating a vehicle not only poses a risk of injury to the motorcycle operator but to all motorists on the road.
While motorcyclist must take extra precautions on the roadway, sometimes incidents occur as a result of another driver’s negligence. If you or someone you love has been injured in a New Jersey motorcycle accident as a result of someone else’s negligence, contact an experienced New Jersey personal injury lawyer that may assist you in receiving the compensation you deserve.
The attorneys at the Rinaldo Law Group LLC are skilled New Jersey motorcycle accident lawyers, who will fight for the compensation you deserve. For more information or to schedule a free initial consultation with our New Jersey motorcycle accident lawyers, call (908) 352-2500 or fill out our contact form.