One of the most common forms of medical negligence is the improper diagnosis and treatment of a medical condition. Usually, this happens as a result of a radiologist failing to accurately interpret x-rays and scans, among others, or a malfunction of the equipment leading to faulty results. It is worth mentioning that a radiologist is a doctor that is responsible for examining x-rays, MRIs, CT scans, and ultrasounds, among others, which assists a primary care physician (PCP) or specialist in diagnosing and treating a patient with certain conditions. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) reported that 40% to 60% of medical malpractice cases are in the area of radiology for the failure to properly diagnosis in a timely manner.
The most common mistakes in radiology include:
- Misreading x-rays, CT scans, CAT scans and MRIs;
- Failing to compare old radiology reports to new reports;
- Improper imaging;
- Machine malfunction;
- Over radiating a patient;
- Failure to review the results in a timely manner;
- Missed diagnosis;
- Delayed diagnosis;
- Mix-up of patient results;
- Failing to follow up with a patient;
- Failing to inform the requesting physician; and
- Failing to properly communicate with other clinicians.
If you or a loved one was a victim of radiology negligence and have suffered injuries as a result, you may have a claim for medical malpractice. In New Jersey, medical malpractice is established when a radiologist breaches the accepted standard of care and, as a result, the patient was injured. A plaintiff must show the following:
- A relationship existed between the radiologist and the patient;
- The radiologist failed to meet the accepted standard of care;
- The radiologist’s failure resulted in a delayed diagnosis or misdiagnosis of a medical condition; and,
- The patient suffered injuries as a result.
Oftentimes, radiological errors result in serious life-threatening complications or even death. If you or someone you love has been injured as a result of radiology negligence, it is important to contact an experienced New Jersey medical malpractice lawyer who can advise you of your legal rights and remedies. The attorneys at the Rinaldo Law Group are skilled medical malpractice and personal injury lawyers, who will fight for the compensation you deserve. For more information or to schedule a free initial consultation with our Elizabeth New Jersey medical malpractice lawyers, call 908-352-2500 or fill out our contact form.